Today is Good Friday: the solemn day when we recall that men nailed their Maker to a cross. The gospels record seven things that Jesus said during those final, shocking hours.
- Forgiveness. ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’
- Hope. ‘Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.’
- Compassion. ‘He said to his mother, “Woman, behold your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!”‘
- Abandonment. ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’
- Suffering. ‘I thirst.’
- Victory. ‘It is finished.’
- Completion. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.’