Warren Bennis suggests these differences:
- The manager administers; the leader innovates.
- The manager maintains; the leader develops.
- The manager focuses on systems and structures; the leader focuses on people.
- The manager has a short-range view; the leader has a long-range perspective.
- The manager has his or her eye on the bottom line; the leader has his or her eye on the horizon.
- The manager imitates; the leader originates.
(via Berendt and others in Transformational Leadership: Lessons in Management for Today)
What other differences would you mention? How does this apply to church leadership?