Not unrelated to what I posted about crucible experiences, here are some questions about the concept of the call to leadership.
- To what extent is the call subjective and to what extent is it objective?
- To what extent is the call personal and to what extent is it experienced with and in community?
- How much is the call experienced as a gradual awakening to a life purpose and to what extent is it experienced in a dramatic moment of response?
- Should we expect that God’s plan will involve us searching for and finding a specific role in a specific place, or should we live as though God’s plan for us is to be faithful wherever we are at the moment?
- Similarly, should we expect to model our experience of the call on the stories of Moses, Jeremiah or Saul/Paul, or is there another way, for example, following the leadings of God’s providence?