Phil Campbell and Gary Millar’s little book on preaching is worth a read.
In one of the chapters, Phil Campbell gives his ‘top ten tips for being clearer’. Here they are:
- The more you say, the less people will remember
- Make the ‘big idea’ shape everything you say
- Choose the shortest, most ordinary words you can*
- Use shorter sentences
- Forget everything your English teacher taught you
- Am I repeating myself? (You should)
- Translate narratives into the present tense
- The six-million-dollar secret of illustrating (illustrate the obvious and don’t sweat about illustrating the complicated)
- People love to hear about people
- Work towards your key text
* Which may mean that his advice to ‘eschew utilising cumbersome terminology’ is deliberately couched in irony!
To fill out the details, I suggest you buy the book!